Monday, July 23, 2007

Should I really be running Ubuntu??

When I started this blog I was all about the Ubuntu distribution of Linux. I hate to say it but it is just to much of a pain to do anything in it. Don't get me wrong i love the fact that everything that is needed for most new Linux users comes pre-installed. I'm not a normal user. I like to try stuff. I like to install new versions of Beryl. I like to install WINE, and run PC games. I have to work in a program named Condor for GRID computing that isn't supported in Ubuntu. I hate to say it but Ubuntu just isn't getting it for me. I am seriously considering switching over to either Suse or Fedora. I'm leaning greater to the Fedora side because of user lead forums and what not. I guess this is a part of every Linux users plight. Since Linux isn't standardized or centralized different distributions may be better for a person or companies particular situation. It sucks but so is life you know? So --Ubuntu guys I am sorry but I just can't take sudo'ing everything anymore. I want a root account. I want to be able to use su. I want some of the power of true Linux back. So I am going to have to jump ship to a different distribution.

3 comments:

Dan Kegel said...

Did you know that you can do
sudo bash
and get what you want?

Jeaimehp said...

sudo bash??

Could you explain a bit for me?

Jeaimehp said...

I had to look it up:

Bash is a Unix shell written for the GNU Project. The name of the actual executable is bash. Its name is an acronym for Bourne-again shell, a pun ("Bourne again" and "born again") on the name of the Bourne shell (sh), an early and important Unix shell written by Stephen Bourne and distributed with Version 7 Unix circa 1978. Bash was created in 1987 by Brian Fox. In 1990 Chet Ramey became the primary maintainer.

Bash is the default shell on most Linux systems as well as on Mac OS X and it can be run on most Unix-like operating systems. It has also been ported to Microsoft Windows within the Cygwin POSIX emulation environment for Windows, to MS-DOS by the DJGPP project and to Novell NetWare. Released under the GNU General Public License, Bash is free software.

Ref: Wikipedia keyword:bash