Wednesday, July 25, 2007

SeaSpace (TeraScan) and CentOS

One of the tasks I set for my self at work is to reload all the lab systems with dual boot Linux and Windows XP. The university I work for has a TeraScan system installed so that we can receive imagery data directly from satellites. I decided to give Seaspace a call to see which flavor of Linux they would recommend. Well in order for the software to work you must have Redhat Enterprise installed. A site license for Redhat Enterprise is not cheap in any form or fashion. Even though Linux itself is free, the support or specialized programs to go along with it are not. As a matter of fact your looking around $9k to purchase Redhat Enterprise. I asked if Fedora which is supposedly RedHat open sourced would work. the agent informed me that they had not had good luck with Fedora, because of the many changes that have occurred in the OS.

When I heard that I though oh crap, that is gonna take a while to get passed through the budget. Thankfully the agent from SeaSpace let me know that CentOS is a direct port from the RedHat kernel. The best part is that CentOS is free! I have downloaded the ISO and I will of course keep you apprised of how it goes.

No comments: